Friday, March 15, 2013

Sewists, Latest Knit Socks and Airports

Anyone who thinks traveling for work is glamorous needs to consider: at this moment I am sitting in the airport in Toronto. I've been here for 5 hours, the first spent standing in line. Flights back to Newark are being cancelled right and left which puts my plans to take the afternoon off to spend with Phin and then take my sister out for a birthday dinner in jeopardy. Airport restrooms are the opposite of glamorous and drinking mediocre airport coffee only increases the need to use them. Beer and wine, too. Plus, flight is very dehydrating (read: increased hangover risk.) I'm not even going to talk about the culinary wasteland of airport food; I am starting to get hungry. At least there is wi-fi.

Travel for work is a trade off.

BUT on the immensely positive side, I had an awesome dinner last night with Kristin of K-line, who is every bit as fun and fierce in person as on her blog. And she was wearing this sweater, which was so pretty in person. I was so excited to meet her that I forgot to take pictures.

So instead, and since Kristin is a recent convert to the joys of hand knit socks, here is my latest pair. I finished them in flight to London.

Socks!


The lace pattern is Welt from Socks a la Carte. It was very easy and knit up quickly. It actually made me realize that maybe I'm not as slow a knitter as I've always thought.  I just seem to have a talent for picking more and more complicated patterns as my skills have improved. Naturally they take longer to knit up.




My new learning experience for these socks was an eye-of-partridge stitch on the heel. It is supposed to be sturdy and these socks are meant to be worn.






Ooh, they just announced that the plane will arrive here at 1:30 and will turn around quickly.  No further delays expected. Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend and please cross your fingers for my journey home!

*Edited 3/16 - I did make it home yesterday afternoon and out to Bday dinner with my sis.  It's good to be home!

12 comments:

Karin said...

Work travel can be exhausting. I'm glad your flight is about to go. I hope you manage to make it to your sisters birthday.
I like your socks. Every time you show a pair of socks it makes me want to try knitting some. I never get around to it though, lol!
If you are ever in London at a loose end, please give me a shout!

Evie Jones said...

I used to travel a lot for work...it's definitely NOT glamorous! I love the socks and am green that you got to meet Kristin. Hope you're home safe.

K-Line said...

Oh, that SUCKS! I hate those delays. Such a waste of time, except for the knitting :-) I love your socks. Very fancy. And it was terrific to meet you - so much fun. Next time I want to come to NYC :-)

Rosie said...

Hope you made it home safely! You have been missed.

Maggie Smith said...

Such lovely socks and I am also jealous of your meeting Kristin! At least there are some perks to traveling for work ;) I hope that you had a safe flight home :)

Clio said...

Yes! Come to NY!

Clio said...

I should be back in September and am thinking of taking a few vacation days after. I'd love to meet you then!

Houseofpinheiro said...

Ohh you made the other pair. Its really cool... I wish I could knit so well.

Clio said...

Glad you made it back! These socks are so gorgeous-- what a great color!

Clio said...

I haven't done a lot of work travel, but I have done a lot of skating travel - I hear you on the lack of food at airports! At least you made it back for the birthday dinner. And I love the color on your socks!

Clio said...

Heh, I was at Toronto airport at 16 march%)))

Clio said...

Wifi is an airports only saving grace. LOVE the socks.